Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Basic Box Building


4x4 frame

I constructed a 4x4 foot bed frame from two eight-foot 2x6 white pine boards. Now — where to place it for maximum sunshine delivery?

Su and I were debating about which end of the bed to use; neither gets a full sun coverage for as long as one would like. The question was settled when Su suggested that we repurpose an old green-wood sandbox as a second 4x4 frame. “Put one at this end and one at that end.” She never believed that one box was enough. I just thought one was enough for a first-year learning experience. I’ll have to build up the bottom of the box with sand a bit so as not to have to use unnecessary additional, expensive, soil mix.

I’ll have some transplanting to do now. Day-lilies, Gooseneck Loosestrife, Burnet, Asters. The Forsythia bloomed late last week, so I’ve removed the rose collars and the dry leaf mulch from all the Roses in the yard. The Serviceberry  trees are budding.

No comments: