I’m planting a vegetable garden this year. I have many years of gardening behind me — perennials, annuals, roses — but growing for the table? Only casually. Stick a tomato in here, some basil over there, thyme between the pavers. A clump of chives dependably arrives in April, hears our promises, ever unfulfilled, to chop some into a salad, then flowers and flops as the summer heat washes in. Then the accidental tomatoes make their entry. I humor them with a cage or two.
We had weekly co-op deliveries for two summers with mixed results, mostly great, occasionally horrible (what do you do with a dozen radishes a week?).
Vegetable garden. Why now? Probably for all the usual reasons:
We've come to love them, and they are at the center of our meals rather than the side. • Hey! Vegetables are good for you — really, really good. • Store-bought produce quality can be dicey. • We can grow what we like. • Get outside, get active.
Maybe I’ll elaborate on those later, but for now, I think you know what I mean. And all I'm looking for here is an easy way to keep a journal, a convenient record so later I can retrace my steps, reconsider my choices, gather experience, and tweak the plan next year.

No comments:
Post a Comment