I set up the grid for the Square Foot garden. Mel Bartholemew recommends wood strips for the grid. I used twine, attached to evenly spaced galvanized staples, hammered into the sides of the frame. The twine is thin, so I think the chic-wire cover will sit more securely on top of the frame than it might on slats. It's also cheaper, about five bucks for twine and staples. By looping the twine through one side I can tie off the other side with a square knot and get a very taught grid. If that matters.
Using slats would also have cut off access to six 1.5-inch strips of planting space. The box is already less than 4'x4' in workable area as a by-product of the method of box building.
I'm starting to wonder about that wire cover. With the trellis in place, the cover will not be usable, whether the trellis is attached inside or outside the frame. I'm going to have to noodle a while on that.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Grid Setup
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment