Thursday, April 23, 2009

First Planting

Seeds are planted. Three squares each of three kinds of lettuce, red onions, peas in the back half of the back four squares, and chard sharing the other half of those squares with the peas. Looks like we might have to do that second box after all. Hmm. What if it were 3'x3'? I could use some of our old planters for herbs.

Last weekend, I asked a friend for advice on planting lettuce. Answer: Just broadcast it over the area. It's not tidy and the plants clump together, but you always eat what gets thinned out. This sounded very appealing. But in the interest of sticking to the plan and testing the SF method, I opted to be more orderly and reserved about it, poking little holes in the soil at two-inch intervals and carefully dribbling 2-3 seeds in each. Let's call it controlled broadcasting. It took a long time, was hard on the eyes, knees, and neck, and made me feel silly. 

In contrast, planting peas and chard was really straightforward. Hole, seed, fill. Onions? Probably shouldn't even by trying them by seed, but what the heck. I look at it as a test of patience, one that may run until the end of summer or beyond. Or, watching three square feet of no growth for a month or two. This is an area I need to do some more studying in. Heading for the forums...

No comments: